Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mrs. Roper




Now talk about a style icon...Mrs. Roper had it going on. I like to call her look "retirement chic". Nobody, and I mean NOBODY rocks a caftan like Helen Roper.

Casie's look:



There are a lot of ways you can go with this. It took some thinking and then I remembered this dress. I haven't worn her in a while. This challenge thing is really getting me to see more options in my closet. So I am rocking kind of the short version of a caftan. Wild print is very Mrs. Roperesque. I also decided to pay homage to her penchant for wearing a brightly colored, beaded necklace and large earrings. And the espadrilles...I just assume that Helen's shoe wardrobe consists entirely of espadrilles, high-heeled flip flops and gold metallic house shoes.


dress- handmade by me
necklace- stella & dot
shoes- Old Navy, thrifted

hoop earrings- who knows? probably Target (are you noticing a pattern here?)

Ali's look:



STANLEY!


Oh hello, would you like to rent an apartment? See, we recycle.

So this one clearly wasn't too challenging, although I could certainly have gone a number of different ways. But I knew I wanted an armful of jangly bangles (which would be a great name for a band) and a nice flowy dress...if I owned a muumuu I would have considered it although I suppose it's not really work appropriate. I think I struck a nice balance between costumey and real. I considered a head scarf which I always enjoy but with my limited closet space my scarves are in the garage with the "Winter Clothes" so you'll get nothing and like it. Plus I thought the head scarf might push me over into costume-land anyway.


Dress- Cha Cha Vente (Macy's)
Sandals- Nine West
Jewelry: Sunset Bangle, Paige Bangle, Sloane Bangle, Harmony Rings, and Birds of Paradise Necklace, all stelladot.com/ali



One other thing...I went looking for Mrs. Roper pics and of course stumbled on lots of John Ritter. Every time I think of his early death I am saddened by the loss of such a great talent and warm spirit. I grew up thinking he was hilarious and wonderful and I remember exactly where I was when I heard he'd died. So I dedicate today to John Ritter. I saw his son Jason in a show on Monday night and he was doing some pretty hilarious physical comedy that totally reminded me of his dad. :) That was nice.



Tomorrow's challenge: cosmetic counter girl


No comments:

Post a Comment